Tuesday 1 April 2008

Medicine for the Spirit


Throughout the seven days I spent in hospital forty friends and relatives called in to see me. They did enormous good to me just by being there. I thank God for the love they showed during what could have been a very stressful period.

My first visitor coming up in his cycling gear was such a surprise I was almost overcome (by emotion - come on reader you know me by now). But then every visitor was like a birthday surprise. I just didn't know who or what to expect so it was wonderful to see those who were able to come.

One nameless brother-in-law, surprised to find me in talkative mood, prepared a post-it-note to put over my bed, saying "Nil from mouth". I was conscious of the fact that I was very very talkative during those days. It sometimes took a real effort for me to allow friends to get a word in edgeways. But I did make the effort. Words from Paul's letter to the Romans came to mind when I think of those who came. He said "I long to see you so that I may impart to you some spiritual gift to make you strong— that is, that you and I may be mutually encouraged by each other's faith." I have always found this to be the case when visiting believers in hospital. Even in distressing circumstances we know that God is working all things for our good and so we ought not to be discouraged. Indeed it is often from those in a sick bed that great blessings have come to me.

The circumstances and nature of the visits were blessings from God. Most often friends would have a passage of the Bible to read to me and would close their time with prayer. This was always a great encouragement. Indeed it was so noticeable to others that one of my "neighbours" in the bed opposite asked if I was a priest. To wake up on Sunday afternoon and find a friend quietly and patiently waiting at my bedside was very affecting. To see another dear friend come from a good distance on a Saturday morning was wonderful too. The pastor who came out of visiting hours and conducted a half an hour conversation with me in whispers was, in hindsight hilarious, but at the time was strangely precious. I shouldn't have started picking out particular visits as they were all gratefully received. But each brought different lessons with them. To have a long conversation with an unbelieving friend about God's dealings with his people even in distress was a wonderful privilege. Again, totally unexpected was a Sunday night visit from a dear friend and her two children. Subsequently I learnt that the visit particularly affected her son (in a positive way).

Even from within the hospital I received several visits from Christians as God has his people in many places. A pharmacist who happened to come from a neighbouring church was senior enough to be able to come when she wanted and listened and encouraged. Then the Lord brought a Christian physio to me. She listened to my distress as I cried my eyes out on day one when I thought I heard the consultant say I would be in for seven weeks. I say again I wouldn't have missed that week for anything no matter how I embarrassed myself.

No comments: